Tuesday, January 31, 2006

VoIP - part 2

First, a cold update: I've still got it! Can't shake the damn thing. Might have to start utilising sick-days at this rate.

VoIP: I've finally got it working I'd say pretty much perfectly! It's been a mission, and a lot of learning, and no-less than 3 VoIP adapters, but we're finally here: full VoIP that is reliable (so far!) and has call quality comparable (and normally not noticable) to a normal analogue. And of course my ultimate gain: unlimited free calls.

The VoIP adapter which finally was up to the job was the Grandstream HandyTone 486. I picked up v1 of the adapter (which doesn't allow you to dial **00 on the phone to then use the analogue line as a fallback) for £25 off ebay. Since I wanted to stop using the landline, and even ignore it if it rings, in the end it is the perfect answer. If there's a power-cut, or the adapter dies, it clicks down to let the phones work on the analogue line - but that's it. You have no other access to it. The fact that the cordless phones won't work in a power-cut is a minor oversight, but hey!
I'm still using SIPDiscount who sneakily released free VoIP-In numbers (a phone number so people on a normal phone can call you) without any announcements. My first sign-up yielded an unsightly 0506 number - which although is billed as a normal 01 or 02 code, there are some mobile networks and areas of NTL which don't connect to it, as well as the end user wondering what and where the hell they're dialing! So not ideal.
But others had received normal dialing codes?
So I assumed because I'd put Redhill as the address, and they don't do Redhill dialing codes yet, I got allocated one from the 'crappy' number pool. Here's where I got sneaky! I made another account, and topped it up to allow me to get another VoIP-In number, but this time put a central London address in.
I didn't get an 0207 number (as I think they're running out of them anyway), but did get a normal-looking (and easy to remember) 0208 number! Superoib! Changed the address back to the correct one and now have an account adorned with a good number! Pity you can't release a number and try again - so I do now have an old account with some credit in and no use for it. Oh well.
The last milestone was getting the adapter, settings and my router all working in harmony. The outgoing calls was the easy bit, but making sure the incoming calls work did need some research and I think this evening I have finally cracked it. Apparently my Linksys ADSL Modem/Router is a symetric NAT Router, so you don't use the STUN proxy. There, you learn something every day! (",)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home